Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Mobile or Manufactured Home Insurance in CA

Can I Add Additional Coverage to My Mobile or Manufactured Home Insurance in California?

In most cases, yes you can. Insurance companies typically offer additional coverage that you can add to your HO-7 policy for extra protection, such as for expensive jewelry or art. However, in some instances, you may need to purchase a totally separate policy in addition to or instead of an HO-7 policy.

My Mobile Home is Not My Primary Residence in CA. Can I Still Insure it Under HO7?

No. Most insurance companies will want you to take a different policy that typically costs more to insure a part-time home or vacation home. Because these homes are vacant through part of the year, they are riskier to insure. Homes that are unoccupied for extended periods of time are more likely to be burgled or suffer sustained damage, like from a burst pipe or fire.

What If I Use My California Mobile Home as a Rental?

If you rent out your mobile home, your insurance company may require you to add short-term rental coverage to your HO-7 policy. If you rent your mobile home out on a full-time basis, you’ll need a landlord insurance policy instead, which is a policy designed for homeowners who rent out their property as a source of income.

Is My CA Mobile Home Covered for Flooding?

Your mobile or manufactured home insurance policy won’t cover flooding. If you live in an area that is prone to flooding, you should consider purchasing flood insurance, a separate policy that insures your mobile or manufactured home against flood damage. Most flood insurance policies are administered through the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) and can be bought through the same insurance company that insures your mobile home. You can also buy flood insurance through the private marketplace.

My Manufactred Home in California Needs Repairs. Can I Still Get Insurance?

It will depend on exactly how much repair work is needed. If your mobile or manufactured home is basically unlivable, then you probably will not be able to get home insurance until it is repaired.