Skip to main content

Cheap SR-22 Insurance in California

Need to Find Affordable SR-22 Car Insurance?

Finding Low-Cost SR-22 Insurance in California

Have you been convicted of a DUI in California and need to find car insurance with an SR-22 certificate? You may have already discovered that some insurers won’t offer you coverage, while others are charging what seems like a huge amount of money for a policy. While it is true that the burden of filing will increase your costs, Cost-U-Less can help you can find an affordable SR-22 policy in California.

Getting arrested for DUI in California is a scary experience and it can have long-term impacts on your life. Never drink and drive since if you are convicted, you will face many hurdles, including financial ones. There are some things you should understand about the process of getting arrested for DUI in California, including what happens next.

What is SR-22 Insurance in California?

It is a government document that tells the state you have purchased at least the minimum required liability policy. You will need to purchase at least the minimum amount required by California, which is:

  • $15,000/$30,000 bodily injury or death one person/more than one person
  • $5,000 property damage

This certificate of insurance is filed by your insurer directly to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the following forms:

  • Owner’s Certificate – Covers you while you are driving cars that you own.
  • Operator’s Certificate – Also called a non-owner SR-22, it’s what you must purchase if you do not own a vehicle.
  • Operator’s-Owner Certificate – Covers you when you drive any vehicle, whether you own it or not.

Depending on your circumstances, you’ll purchase a policy for one of these and your insurer will file your form for you. You cannot file your form.

How Much Does SR-22 Cost in CA?

Once you find a carrier, they’ll likely charge you somewhere between $25 to $40 to file your form. The insurance itself can cost as much as double or triple normal policies. That’s because you’ve been convicted of some type of high-risk behavior, such as driving under the influence or driving without insurance. To an underwriter, that makes you a high-risk driver.

When Is an SR-22 Required in California?

In California, you may be required to meet this requirement under the certain circumstances, including:

  • Driving under the influence
  • Driving without insurance
  • Getting in an accident with no insurance
  • Reckless driving
  • License suspension
  • Unsatisfied judgments (such as non-payment of child support)

Once you’ve had a hearing to determine the state’s decision about your case, you’ll understand more about what you need to do to move forward.

When Will My Requirement End?

In California, typically you will need to keep your special policy for 3 years.

Once you have your SR-22 coverage, you want to make sure it does not get cancelled or suspended. You can do this by renewing it early. It must be renewed at least 15 days before it expires to make sure it isn’t cancelled. The earlier you renew it, the safer you’ll be and the less likely your SR-22 will be cancelled.

If your policy is cancelled or lapses, your carrier is required by law to notify the state. In many cases, this results in your time frame for carrying SR-22 to start over – and your rates will be even higher.

Can I Use Discounts to Help Lower My Cost?

Yes. Most companies offer a variety of discounts to their customers, even if you have been labeled high risk. If you have a DUI on your record, you should always disclose that to any insurance agency you are applying to for coverage. You can bundle your policies, such as home insurance and vehicle coverage, together for a discount. Some companies will give a lower price if you pay your premium upfront or schedule auto-payments, since it reduces their admin fees. You can also increase your deductible to make your premium lower.

California SR-22 Filing

Cost-U-Less can help you file an SR-22 in California and we can also help you obtain low-cost SR-22 insurance. Give us a call at 800-390-4071 for more information.