Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Health Insurance

Is Health Insurance Affordable for Californians?

The amount you pay for health insurance through Covered California will be based on your income. There are also free programs available through Medi-Cal.

I Missed Open Enrollment, Can I Still Get Insurance?

In most cases, yes! Even if you missed open enrollment, many people qualify to enroll during Special Enrollment. Some, but not all, of the qualifying events for Special Enrollment include:

  • COVID-19
  • New baby. Having a child or adopting a child, receiving a child into foster care, or placing a child in adoption or a foster home.
  • Change in place of residence, including release from jail.
  • Losing health care (e.g., you are no longer eligible for Medi-Cal, or you lose your employer health insurance)
  • Income changes (typically a drop), and you need additional help paying for your insurance.
  • Turning 26 years old and no longer eligible to remain on your parent or guardian’s plan.
  • Getting married or entering into a domestic partnership.
  • Becoming a citizen, national, or lawfully present individual.
  • Having a tax penalty on your 2022 returns for not being enrolled.

Is There Any Financial Help Available?

At Cost-U-Less, we can help you apply for the government’s financial support options and find out if you’re eligible for any of them. This is a great way to get financial support.

Depending on your household size and income, you may qualify for different financial support forms for healthcare. Individuals and families with limited incomes can apply to state and nation-wide programs to obtain low-cost health coverage according to their specific situation. Those who do not qualify for these programs might still be eligible for their county’s limited health services.

I Got a Raise. Should I Report My New Income to Covered California?

As part of your enrollment, you agreed to report any income changes, so yes, you should report it, along with any major life changes, such as a change in household size, marital status and property. You need to report changes within 30 days. If you don’t report your increased income, you could be required to pay back money when you file your taxes.

Can I Get Coverage with a Pre-existing Condition?

Yes. You cannot be denied health insurance for any current or past health condition and you cannot be charged more.

Can I Use My Same Doctor Through Covered California?

We can help you search for your doctor’s name when you are researching plans. If you do not find their name, they probably are not part of one of the many types of insurance carriers available through Covered California.

I Make Enough to Buy a Plan Through the Marketplace but I Cannot Afford to Pay for My Kids

Although there is a single application for all members of a family, it is common for different members to be eligible for different levels of plans. You may be eligible for a regular plan, while your children may be eligible for Medi-Cal.

What is Available for Pregnant Women?

Pregnant women qualify for a variety of programs that cover pre-natal care, labor and delivery and postpartum care. Your newborn is also eligible for programs. We can help you fill out the appropriate form.