The Facts on Renters Insurance in San Francisco
You don’t own the house, condo, apartment, or other living quarters you’re renting, so it might be hard at first to even comprehend the need to pay for insurance coverage. But it’s not only important; it’s critical to protect your finances and preserve your peace of mind.
That sense of security and protection is becoming more and more important to people today as the rate of Americans renting their living spaces goes up. According to the Pew Research Center, more of us are renting our housing than at any point in time since at least 1965. That means that more of us have cause to consider the many benefits of renters insurance.
So let’s take a closer look specifically at the necessity for affordable renters insurance in the large northern California city of San Francisco.
Cheap Renters Insurance in San Francisco, California
While it’s not mandated by state law, finding an apartment in the Golden City could be difficult without affordable renters insurance in San Francisco, California. That’s because lease agreements written by the San Francisco Apartment Association include providing tenants with renters insurance. So any landlords that use that lease without altering it make the coverage mandatory for their tenants.
Consider the Benefits of Finding Affordable Renters Insurance in San Francisco, CA
Imagine yourself in any of the following scenarios.
- During the middle of the day, a burglar smashes through your front door and quickly makes off with two laptops, your mother’s jewelry, and a small safe holding your valuables. Your landlord replaces the door and lock, but you’re solely responsible for replacing the items you lost.
- Your entire rental home is lost to a forest fire. Not only do you have the financial burden of replacing everything you own, but you must find substitute housing for months while your rented space is being rebuilt.
- You drop ice on your kitchen floor, and a visitor slips and falls into the mess. Your guest breaks a leg and must be hospitalized and sues you for medical costs and lost work pay.
- A child in a neighboring apartment unit starts a fire. It’s quickly put out, but the smoke damages your linens, draperies, bedding, and much of your clothing. The responsibility for replacing your damaged items rests with you alone.
These scenarios barely touch on the many ways in which you can experience catastrophic financial loss in a matter of minutes or even seconds. Through little or no fault of your own, your life is suddenly upended, and your financial security is gone unless you have cheap renters insurance in San Francisco or elsewhere in California.
When things go wrong, your landlord might offer financial assistance (if you’re lucky). In the case of burglary, for instance, the landlord can be counted on to repair or replace the front door. As the owners of the house or building, your landlords would also repair the electrical system if it went down over a long weekend. But you’d have to assume the cost of replacing all of the spoiled food in the refrigerator.
The point is, landlords are responsible for what’s theirs, and you’re on the hook for what’s yours. You can also be legally liable for injury sustained by anybody while at your rented space, so there are plenty of ways to suffer deep financial losses if you’re a tenant without renters insurance.
What Does Affordable Renters Insurance in San Francisco Cover?
Now that we’ve reviewed all that your landlord won’t cover. Let’s take a closer look at how your renters’ insurance will protect you as a tenant. This financial protection falls into three general areas.
- Your personal possessions and the cost of repairing or replacing them if they’re damaged, destroyed, or stolen
- Liability protection if you’re sued for damage to the property of neighbors or visitors for accidents that start in your unit
- Your housing expenses if you must temporarily leave the space you rent until damage to it can be repaired
How Much is Renters Insurance in San Francisco, California?
The great news for tenants in California, and specifically in the San Francisco region, is that rental insurance is incredibly affordable. As of 2018, the average cost for this coverage in the U.S. was just $179 per year or around fifty cents a day to protect your space, possessions and enhance your sense of financial security. That’s a lot less than a cup of coffee.
Actual Cash Value vs. Replacement Cost
Now that you’ve made up your mind to shop for renters insurance, you need to decide between actual cash value and replacement cost coverage.
Actual cash value policies settle on the current value of the item that must be replaced. So if your four-year-old laptop is stolen, your policy would pay what a laptop of that same make and model and age costs.
Replacement cost coverage pays what it would actually cost to replace that item with the new version. So your insurer would replace your stolen four-year-old laptop with the cost of today’s brand and model bought new. This coverage is more expensive than policies based on actual cash value, but only by about ten percent. You might find the added expense to be well worth it.
Find Affordable Renters Insurance in San Francisco, California
As you now know, renters insurance in California is both highly affordable and critical to your family’s financial security and your peace of mind. Call Cost-U-Less and speak to an agent at (800) 390-4071. You can also get a San Francisco renters insurance quote online or visit one of our offices near you.