The Best Spring and Summer Festivals in California to Experience by Motorhome
It’s that time of year again! Spring and summer in California mean one thing: festivals! And what better way to experience all that the Golden State has to offer than by hitting the road in a motorhome? But before you set out on your adventure, take a minute to review your motorhome insurance policy. You want to make sure you have the best protection possible at a rate that won’t break the bank.
With the right coverage, you can focus on soaking up the sunshine and good vibes at your next festival without worrying about anything else. Here are 6 festivals and other exciting California events you might consider checking out.
For two whole weeks in April, Coachella takes over the beautiful desert of Southern California and brings music lovers from all over the world together for an unforgettable experience. From the biggest names in music to rising stars and everything in between, Coachella is the perfect opportunity to see your favorite artists perform live on stage.
Coachella is typically on the second and third weekends in April. Dates have not been announced for 2024, so bookmark the event site here.
While the Coachella organizers do not permit motorhomes to be parked on the grounds of the festival itself, they have fortunately put together a list of suitable nearby RV sites that can accommodate you. Here’s the list:
- Indian Waters Resort & Cottages: This resort is in Indio, just a few miles from the Coachella festival grounds. It offers spacious sites with full hookups, as well as amenities such as a swimming pool, hot tub, and clubhouse.
- Shadow Hills Resort: This resort is in nearby Indio and offers sites with full hookups and access to a swimming pool, hot tub, and fitness center.
- Desert Willow Resort: This resort is in Palm Desert, about 15 miles from the Coachella festival grounds. It offers sites with full hookups, as well as amenities such as a swimming pool, hot tub, and clubhouse.
- Motorcoach Country Club: This upscale resort is in Indio and offers luxury sites with full hookups, as well as a golf course, tennis courts, and a fitness center. It’s a great option for those looking for a more luxurious RV experience.
- Happy Traveler Park: This family-friendly motorhome park is in Palm Springs, about 30 miles from the Coachella festival grounds. It offers sites with full hookups, a swimming pool, a hot tub, and a playground.
California Poppy Festival
This April festival celebrates the state flower of California and takes place in Lancaster, about an hour north of Los Angeles. There are plenty of activities for the whole family, including live music, arts and crafts, and a farmers’ market. Visiting in your motorhome allows you to experience the festival and surroundings at a more relaxed pace.
Dates for 2024 are Friday, April 19 from 4-10 p.m. and Saturday, April 20 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
There are a variety of RV parks in the area, from Del Sur Gardens, which is closer to downtown, to Saddleback Butte State Park, located just east of Lancaster, offering desert views and scenic landscapes.
Sonoma County Hot Air Balloon Classic
This festival takes place in Windsor July 14-15 this year, and it’s a wonderful way to see the beautiful wine country from above. The number of balloon rides offered each day varies depending on the weather, so they can only be purchased on the day of the event. There are plenty of other activities on the ground as well, including live music and food and drinks.
After enjoying the excitement of the festival, why not extend your stay and explore the surrounding area? Motorhome camping in Sonoma is a great way to experience beautiful scenery and enjoy outdoor activities. There are many campgrounds to choose from, including popular options such as Sonoma County RV Park and Wine Country RV Park. Many of them offer full hookups, Wi-Fi, and other amenities to make your stay comfortable and convenient.
California Wine Festival
If you’re a wine lover, the California Wine Festival in Santa Barbara is a must-attend event. Slated for July 13-14 this year, it features hundreds of different wines from some of the state’s best wineries. Traveling by motorhome gives you the opportunity to feel the ocean breeze along the Pacific coast.
If you attend the festival and decide to extend your stay, mobile home camping offers the perfect way to take advantage of the natural beauty surrounding you. After indulging in delicious wines, explore the scenic hiking trails, go horseback riding, or simply relax in the comfort of your RV with stunning ocean views. With so much to see and do in this picturesque area, you won’t want to leave anytime soon.
Monterey Jazz Festival
This event is one of the oldest and most prestigious jazz festivals in the world, and visiting via motorhome travel can make the experience even more exciting. It takes place on Sept. 22-24 this year and features some of the biggest names in jazz music.
Motorhome camping is available onsite. Make sure you have proof of ticket purchase ready when you call to book your spot. Just a quick heads up, you’ll need a Full Weekend Package ticket for every person staying in your travel trailer or RV. Once you’re actually on the grounds, you don’t have to worry about anything – every spot includes electricity, water, and sewage.
San Diego County Fair
This annual fair is one of the most popular summer festivals in Southern California. It takes place from June 7 to July 4 this year and features rides, games, exhibits, and plenty of delicious food. One unique feature is that you can camp onsite at the Del Mar Fairgrounds in your recreational vehicle, which provides the opportunity to stay close to all the action and make the most of your time at the fair.
In addition, the fairgrounds offer a lot of space and amenities to accommodate all attendees. Restrooms, shower facilities, picnic areas, and entertainment for all ages are all located in close proximity to ensure that you have a great time.
Tired of the Festival Scene? Check Out These Relaxing RV Hotspots in California This Summer
We get it: Not everyone wants to take part in crowded events. If you’re looking for a more relaxed motorhome adventure and relaxing outdoor activities, consider visiting one of California’s beautiful parks and other natural attractions.
Below are the top six destinations you should consider visiting by RV if the festival scene isn’t what you are looking for:
- Yosemite National Park: One of the most iconic national parks in the U.S., Yosemite is home to stunning natural beauty, including granite cliffs, waterfalls, and giant sequoias. The park offers plenty of RV-friendly and spacious campgrounds.
- Highway 1: This scenic coastal highway runs along the Pacific Ocean and is considered one of the most beautiful drives in the world. There are plenty of motorhome campgrounds along the way, and you’ll have the opportunity to explore charming coastal towns and enjoy breathtaking views.
- Lake Tahoe: This alpine lake is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, with plenty of hiking, boating, and fishing opportunities. There are several motorhome parks in the area, as well as scenic drives to explore.
- Joshua Tree National Park: Located in Southern California, Joshua Tree is known for its otherworldly landscapes and unique rock formations. There are several recreational vehicle campgrounds in the park, and it’s a great place to stargaze and explore the desert landscape.
- Napa Valley: Wine lovers won’t want to miss a visit to Napa Valley, where you can explore the vineyards and sample some of the best wines in the country. There are several travel trailer parks in the area to choose from.
- Big Sur: This rugged coastal region is home to stunning cliffs, beaches, and forests. There are several RV-friendly campgrounds in the area and plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploring.
Get Affordable Motorhome Insurance in California Today
Before you zoom off in your RV to your next California excursion this summer, make sure you have the right insurance policy for your adventurous lifestyle. Cost-U-Less Insurance offers affordable motorhome insurance. Get in touch with us today by calling (800) 390-4071, requesting a quote online, or visiting your local office location to speak with an agent in person.
Ready to Get a Quick Quote?
You may also like
6 Easy Motorcycle Insurance Discounts for California Bikers
7 Pest Control Tips for California Renters
5 of Los Angeles’s Most Budget-Friendly Areas for Rentals
4 Things to Know About Open Enrollment for Health Insurance in California
Thriving in the Golden State: California Living on a Tight Budget
Traffic Safety Strategies for Southern California’s Busiest Summer Spots
Good News for California Homebuyers: Home Prices Are Actually Falling in Some Areas
Set Sail to These 5 California Places This Summer
Losing Your Medicaid in California?
The Importance of Renter’s Insurance to College Students
How to Safely Hit the Road in California for Thanksgiving This Year