Skip to main content

Undocumented Immigrants Are You Ready to Get Your Driver’s License?

Assembly Bill 60, also known as AB 60, the New Driver’s License for California residents who do not have proof of legal U.S. immigration status, becomes law, January 1, 2015. The California Department of Motor Vehicles encourages future applicants to be ready to qualify for their driver’s license by studying the California Driver Handbook.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) expects requests from almost two million new applications for the permits. To handle them all, the DMV is working on new regulations and making sure field offices are ready to meet the demand for new drivers’ licenses. DMV officials may also open temporary, additional offices and extend operating hours at current locations.

The DMV plans to put in effect new guidelines that will explain how applicants can provide their identity and proof of living in California. DMV officials also will suggest a license design, which will be reviewed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
What undocumented immigrants need to know:

DMV will accept the following forms of documentation:
(1) A valid, unexpired passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship or a valid, unexpired consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship.
(2) An original birth certificate, or other proof of age, as designated by the Department.
(3) A home utility bill, lease or rental agreement, or other proof of California residence, as designated by the Department.
(4) The following documents, which, if in a language other than English, shall be accompanied by a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English:
(A) A marriage license or divorce certificate.
(B) A foreign federal electoral photo card issued on or after January 1, 1991.
(C) A foreign driver’s license.
(5) A United States Department of Homeland Security Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal.
(6) An official school or college transcript that includes the applicant’s date of birth, or a foreign school record that is sealed and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
(7) A United States Department of Homeland Security Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
(8) A deed or title to real property.
(9) A property tax bill or statement issued within the previous 12 months.
(10) An income tax return.

What unlicensed drivers need to do:
Those undocumented immigrants who are unlicensed and don’t have insurance should be getting ready now to qualify for their driver’s license under this new California law.
So, what can an unlicensed driver do to prepare for AB 60? The first step should be to learn California’s motor vehicle laws. DMV suggests future drivers get ready for the written exam by studying the California Driver Handbook, available on the DMV webpage at The website also provides sample tests that can be great study material for the applicants. The California Driver Handbook is available in 10 languages at all DMV field offices: English, Armenian, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.

Thanks to AB 60, the roads will be safer for all of us.

Are you concerned about obtaining a license or confused about AB 60? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Ready to Get a Quick Quote?