Avoid Drinking and Driving by Using a Designated Driver.
Often you can take a taxi, bus, or other form of driving service after a social gathering where you have consumed alcohol. When there is an exception to this, it is always a good idea to have a designated driver. This person is responsible for remaining sober and driving the others in the group to their homes, safely.
How to stop a drunk driver before they get behind the wheel.
- If it’s a friend or loved one, pull them aside and explain you feel they may have had too much to drink. Offer to call a cab or let someone else drive.
- Keep it light. Joke with them about the situation.
- Try not to embarrass them. Don’t make a big scene and they will probably agree with you that it’s a good idea for someone else to drive.
- If they are determined to drive NEVER ride with an impaired driver.
- Take their keys while they are distracted. They will likely think they have lost them during the evening.